I like to think of myself as a "well-rounded" individual. I have always enjoyed sports, intellectual pursuits, clothes and makeup, art, music, movies, books, languages, food, loud concerts and absolute silence. I think most people are like this. I think they enjoy lots of different things - but have a limited amount of time for them. My kids are the same way. That is one thing that homeschooling is really good for. Abby has time for everything. Since schoolwork will only take a small amount of her time each day (no time wasted being shuffled around, watching other kids getting disciplined and waiting for things to get started) she can get on with the things she loves most. I have a few other homeschool moms out there who read this and you've been wanting to see my plan for school, so here it is -
School will take place from 9 until 11:45 each morning. Every day we will focus on reading and lettering, plus basic math skills. She will be learning how to write her full name, address and phone number as well as the days of the week and months of the year. She will be learning about temperature, weather and the seasons. We will be continuing her allowance and guiding her about money management. She will learn how to tell time and we are going to introduce her to French with the Muzzy program. Every week, she will study one of Aesop's fables and practice drawing (which she LOVES). We will also have fun art projects weekly to tie-in to the units of study.
Here are some things she will be learning about:
Conservation
Ancient Civilizations
Introduction to Government & Politics (election season after all)
Charity and Giving
Religous themes throughout the year
Anatomy
Life Cycles
Sewing
Architecture
American History and Culture
Problem Solving and Following a Plan
I know, I know - she's just in Kindergarten - but all of this is getting scaled back to her learning level and will be WAY COOLER than whatever they are planning on doing at Whit Davis this year.
We will be tending to our ant farm, building an earthworm habitat and a bird house. We will be watching a tadpole grow into a frog, caterpillars grow into butterflies and seeds grow into vegetables. We will be going to the High Museum, Mayfield Dairies, the Michael C. Carlos Museum of Egyptology, Callaway Gardens, The GA Aquarium, The Zoo and the Coca Cola Museum. We will be visiting a working commercial farm and going pumpkin, strawberry and blueberry picking throughout the year. I am also trying to find a candy company we can tour so that I can help her find the answer to the age old question, "Mommy, how do they make lemon drops?" Plus, after school, she will be enjoying all of her favorite extracurricular activities - tennis, soccer, art classes, yoga sprouts and choir.
I'm so excited! I want school to start now!
3 comments:
Wow! And I mean that, Wow! You've got an amazing plan going there. I still haven't set in stone what we're doing and we start next Monday!
You've given me a lot of ideas to think about. Where are you getting the tadpole from? I'd love to do that.
Do you remember going to Westville in elementary school? We also went to Providence canyon that same day. I thought about doing that as a field trip sometime.
I want to do that too. I want to go on one "field trip" a month and November will be something historical but I haven't decided which one. I bought the tadpole kit at the Expo but you can get one at http://www.growafrog.com/. I'll let you know ahead of time which field-trips are coming up in case y'all want to tag along!
September 4th - High Museum
This looks awesome girl! The Mayfield Dairy is over by me and they do a tour that is really cool and then sell icecream afterward. I also have an incubator if you ever want to hatch. I do chickens and quail each year. I also love to do ducks but no one will take them. :( I love your plan! Your a natural teacher!
Post a Comment