Monday, May 18, 2009

Smyrna - the Friendliest Place on Earth!

We recently moved into the oldest neighborhood in Smyrna - William's Park. It is a lovely area of town that is close to everything and full of charm. The William's Park Neighborhood Association Anniversary Picnic was to be held on Saturday. However, rain and the threat of severe weather postponed it until Sunday. After getting a late start, we made our appetizer, donned our picnic garb, and piled into the car and headed for Roswell Street. As we approached our destination, we noticed that nothing was set up where we thought it should be - but balloons were hung across the street. We followed the signs for parking and walked over to the party. We asked a nice older woman standing on the curb if this was indeed the neighborhood party, to which she replied, "yes - come on over!" I marched up the steps of the beautiful craftsman-style home and plunked my fried cheese down on the table next to chicken nuggets and fruit skewers. Since this was our very first event and we had not yet met anyone, we introduced ourselves to a few guests and we met the homeowners, Carl and Anna. I asked them how old their son was, directed the children to mind the busy street and helped myself to a generous portion of food and a glass of sangria. My husband Baxter had a beer. Nearly two hours passed before we found it necessary to venture inside the house. When I did, I noticed a cake and presents there. Hmmmm... Strange......We asked some new acquaintances about this and why they decided to move the party across the street. That's when we discovered that this particular party had nothing do do with The William's Park Neighbors. We had just crashed a one-year-old's birthday party!

After they finished singing "Happy Birthday" to the little darling, we ushered ourselves over to the hosts and had a real good laugh. Then, they offered us another glass of sangria. We have been in Smyrna just over a month now. Although I grew up here, I really had forgotten what a friendly place this was. What other city in the world would have been as welcoming and understanding in such a situation? So allow me to wish Trey a very Happy Birthday! Thank you once again to Carl and Anna for your amazing hospitality and thank you Smyrna for making us feel so at home!

The actual Williams Park Neighbors' annual party was held the following Saturday at the advertised location. It was fun and our party-crashing reputation preceded us. It's always good to make a splash...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh how funny! I can't just picture it all in my head now. What a laugh.

Jen said...

This is so funny. And I can totally see you doing this.

Unknown said...

:P I, on the other hand, feel like it's a nice place to visit...well, you know the rest. Glad to hear you are getting settled and making friends. Hope you have weekly encounters like this one.