I don't quite know what to say. Our first week has been extraordinary. I thought things would be tough and hard to manage. I imagined the two of us butting heads a lot and not getting much accomplished. Boy was I wrong!
Instead of butting heads, both kids were excited and eager for me to teach them. It felt a little like a game for them, I am sure. Still, the topics were interesting and the hardest thing about it was keeping up with their desire to learn!
Thursday, we took a trip to The High Museum of Atlanta. I used to love going there in High School and I hadn't been in an awfully long time. I have never taken a child there and I was a little worried that we were going to break something. I gave them a little talk before we climbed into the car and another one in the parking garage when we arrived and I made my expectations clear. They were both so good that if I had the money in my budget, I would have showered them with presents from the gift shop! Abby asked questions about various pieces and Ford played right along. They both paid attention to the things I pointed out to them and it was a really wonderful learning experience. I read a book to her Wednesday about the ancient Greeks and we discussed their pottery and urns. At the museum, she saw actual examples of the things pictured in the book. Talk about a learning experience!
Meanwhile, they never whined or complained they were hungry even as 1:00 passed us by! We got to enjoy the family gallery where kids can intereact with a wide-variety of objects and even create a little art themselves. We also did the special kids' project downstairs and brought home two great examples of "fringe" art like we saw in the modern art gallery. So, if you're ever near midtown with your kids, plan a trip to the High and I think you'll be pleasantly suprised at how much fun you all can have in a museum! Cost was reasonable - $18 for me and kids 5 and under are free! My only complaint - I forgot my camera. So, no great pictures to post along with this - sorry.
We've got another big tailgate to prepare for - even though I'm not going to the game :-(
We will have to be satisfied watching it on TV - Go Dogs!!
1 comment:
That's wonderful! I'm glad you had such a good first week.
I'm getting geared up for week 3 tomorrow. I'm a little apprehensive since week 2 was so bad, but I'm determined to do it!
Post a Comment