Sometimes, you just have to start over. Have you ever met someone for the first time and made a terrible impression by saying or doing the wrong thing? How I have wished I could walk out of the room, walk back in again and start all over with the introductions. Sometimes, we are better off beginning again. The other day, I got terribly lost going to a birthday party in Bishop, GA. There are only about 6 streets in Bishop - so to explain how this happened would reveal me to be, perhaps, the biggest idiot in Northeast Georgia. I was terribly late, holding very vague directions Baxter had given me and I had no network coverage. Before I got myself into a real pickle, I came all the way back to the last place I was familiar with - and started over.
We all have days like that, where for one reason or another, plowing through is just not the answer. It is often better to close your eyes, take a deep breath, clear your head and start over again.
When you have small children, these days are common. They usually involve either having planned too much to do and falling way behind schedule - or planning too little to do and leaving yourself open to misbehavior and boredom. Very early on in my life as a parent, I felt the need to find a way to quickly get over mornings like this and I found an excellent solution - one that I want to share. Very simply, when I realize that one or all of us has gotten off on the wrong foot - I scramble up some cheese-eggs, pop in some frozen biscuits and fry up some bacon or sausage and we have breakfast for lunch. I always explain to the children that we are starting over and we're going to turn around our day. Inevitably, this always works to change everyone's mood - including my own.
Often, the days that we conquer are the ones we cherish the most. We have even had breakfast for dinner many times over the last few years. Just remember, it's never too late for biscuits and apple butter.
No comments:
Post a Comment