Sunday, September 14, 2008

Down on the Farm

A look back at the weather...



Monday: Beautiful



Tuesday: Fair to partly cloudy



Wednesday: Thunderstorms all day



Thursday: Pleasant



Friday: Clear & sunny







As you can see, the week went mostly well for our little homeschool family. Wednesday was frustrating, but we have had days like that before homeschool. In fact, I think we had more of them before homeschool started. But, I won't drag you through the mud with me. Let's focus on the good times. Endless joy, right?



Monday was great. We started off our week going to a friend's farm. They are local growers of organic produce and their place is literally about 5 minutes from my house. That tells you just how out in the sticks I really am! We were invited to "help ourselves" to an overabundance of green beans and boy did we! We filled a small basket and had I brought a larger vessel - would have had no problem filling it up. I think we gathered that from two or three plants alone. Anyway, the kids were smitten with the idea of being on their friend's farm and asked a lot of questions about what it would be like to live on an actual farm. It was a great learning experience for us. Despite the fact that we wore jeans and long socks and heavy shoes, Abby still managed to find the ants we were forewarned about and suffered several nasty bites. Still, that didn't ruin our day and we snapped and enjoyed our beans with a roasted chicken and black eyed peas. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.



The Lewis' have a nice little spread and I have to admit, I envy the lifestyle. Their kids have a vast wilderness to play on compared to our microscopic yard. Although easy to keep "tidy", I am becoming disenchanted with the idea of having to take my kids somewhere in order to really play outside. How nice it would be to open the door and send them out to get good and dirty before we begin our studies every day! I definitely think they wouldn't have much of a problem sitting still after a good romp in the grass, chasing locusts or butterflies. Abby still wants to milk a cow and we may have to work that into another week later in the year if we find a good place. But, thanks to Lisa and Geoff, we had a great start to our week of study.



Other great moments - Abby strugging through and finishing Green Eggs and Ham, Abby learning to count by 10s, Ford helping me snap green beans, playing mummy on the playground with both of them and remembering just how truly sweet my kids are.



BTW - I promise to write something non-homeschool-related very soon! Sorry if you're bored!



No comments: