




The Friday before Valentine's Day, the kids got to attend their first Valentine's party. Due to illness or something else, they had never attended one before so they were mucho excited. Abby wanted me to curl her hair. She bought special shoes for the occasion. Ford wore an argyle sweater-vest. We made homemade lollipops to give out for our valentine exchange. They were pretty and fun, although the kids didn't get to help much because of the high temperatures. I contributed to the party in two ways. I brought in the craft - fancy Valentines for a special someone. Textured paper, heart cut-outs and doilies made them very cute. I also donned a pair of giant heart-shaped glasses and painted faces for the event. This was my third time painting faces but I hadn't done it since our preschool days. After I volunteered, I realized that they might be expecting a lot from someone who steps up out of nowhere and volunteers. I mean, they might think I do this sort of thing all the time! I went online and printed out some design ideas and even came up with several of my own which I sketched out. Well, once I sat down and dove in, I realized that I have a hidden talent! I did 3 fire-breathing dragons! I did a heart with swirling rainbow ribbons. I did swords and shields. I did it all....30 times. I painted 30 little faces and joked with them that these were the glasses I wear all the time and acted silly and had them all smiling and happy by the end of the event.
After a week of nose-to-the-grindstone 6 hour homeschool days, tears at the piano, and basically wanting to pull my hair out - it was so much fun to just be in the presence of kids on their level. It's like what Wes Stafford talks about in Too Small to Ignore, you have to get on their level...you have to invite them into your world and be invited by them into theirs. Jesus didn't sit down with the kids because he wanted to teach his disciples a lesson. He sat down with the kids because they loved him and because he loved them. Instead of making chit-chat with the other moms, I had the pleasure of making 30 children smile. Plus, Abby and Ford got to see their mom in a new way. It was really great. I finally got to paint my own kids' faces on Valentine's day (see above).
I'm not sure what Valentines plans we have now that we're likely to be iced in tomorrow. I guess maybe a family movie day and some tomato soup and grilled cheese? Maybe some heart-shaped pancakes? I do know we're having my favorite thing for dinner: ribs and champagne. I think for once, Valentine's Day is teaching me a lesson in love. The only thing I'm really looking forward to is some homemade valentines and a lot of hugs and cuddles.
I'm not sure what Valentines plans we have now that we're likely to be iced in tomorrow. I guess maybe a family movie day and some tomato soup and grilled cheese? Maybe some heart-shaped pancakes? I do know we're having my favorite thing for dinner: ribs and champagne. I think for once, Valentine's Day is teaching me a lesson in love. The only thing I'm really looking forward to is some homemade valentines and a lot of hugs and cuddles.
No comments:
Post a Comment