Today is just an average day. I have chores to do and work to finish. I have homework to help Abby with and a play-date tomorrow to prepare for. There is nothing special about today at all except the date. One year ago, my dad passed away. I think I've moved on and have handled it very well these past twelve months. However, last night I woke up at 4 and could not go back to sleep. Nothing particular was on my mind, except today's date. That alone kept me awake for two and a half hours.
It is hard to explain what I feel like today. I'm not depressed although you might assume so given my old sweatsuit I'm wearing right now. I guess I'm just blue. Losing him was tough. The way it all happened didn't make it any easier. I can't even see a commercial for CPR classes without thinking about those moments and I can't use a leaf blower without thinking about my son running to tell me he had stopped breathing.
I fear my mother's death more than ever. I talk to her daily and we discuss politics, religion, family, cooking and life in general. My mother and I don't delight in small talk. This year, her opinions have gotten more black and white, and her ability to talk about difficult personal issues has grown dim. I think that perhaps she fears her death as well. Her twin sister died last Wednesday. She was my namesake and the reason I wanted to change my name for most of my childhood. She was a terrible person and a terrible sister to my mom. She did not attend the funeral. Still, just knowing about her death at this particular time brings a lot of things to mind.
All of the excitement of the summer and the busy days of early fall have given way to a broader sense of sadness now. I wonder if it is just for a day, or longer. I felt this way at Christmas last year - just like I'm no fun anymore. I feel so un-fun that I can't imagine other people wanting to do anything with me. Even Joy can't fake joy. People can tell.
So here I am at my most cathartic. Spewing all of this out online for what reason I can't tell you, except that it makes me feel a little better than I did before I sat down. Now I need to get up from my desk, change clothes, and get on with my day. Abby has a piano lesson. I need to start their Halloween costumes. Tomorrow we will build scarecrows and carve pumpkins. I have a party to go to this weekend. I'm busy with work, which is good. Life never stops for long.
3 comments:
praying for you today. Love you.
Been thinking about you with this time of year. Such a beautiful time, but sad too. I hope the heaviness lifts for you soon and you can experience some lightness and joy again. And for the record, you're still fun and people DO want to be with you!
Thinking of you
Post a Comment