Thursday, September 23, 2010

So Happy I Could Cry

So what's your definition of a perfect day? I thought I knew mine...until today. Yesterday was our 9th anniversary and we enjoyed a nice lunch at docoeur de france in marietta. But unfortunately I spent most of the day working at my computer. Then I spent 6 hours in the car. Not much of a day all in all. But after today, it was all worth it.
We started our morning with chocolate croissants and coffee. Then we headed out to scenic Bass Lake. Baxter enjoyed a 4 mile run while the kids and I hiked and enjoyed the quiet. After Baxter cooled down and changed, we stuffed ourselves with some good NC bbq.

We had a little time to kill after lunch so we hit the local outlet mall for a bit. I found a pair of Gap jeans for $7. That alone would usually make my day - but we haven't even gotten to the best parts yet.

The rest of our afternoon was spent in quaint downtown Blowing Rock. We parked in front of the community library - one of many stone buildings that adds so much charm to this idyllic place. The kids played at the playground where someone was kind enough to draw out a hopscotch course for all to use. We strolled down Main Street and peeked into adorable shops and finally made our way to a homemade fudge and ice cream shop where we treated the kids to cones that weighed 2 pounds each. At 4 it was time to walk over to the local farmers market where we gathered all the produce we needed for dinner, including some amazingly complex wildflower honey.

Then it was time to get back in the car. Life is always better when you take the long way home... especially when James Taylor is playing. There was a moment in that car with the windows down when I felt so completely happy that my words fall short trying to describe it.

We made a short stop at the market to get some fresh trout to complete our dinner. Now I am just bragging! But what a great day it's been!

No comments: