Friday, June 18, 2010

Change Is A Comin'

So, change is happening around here. I'm going to start painting and cleaning up the new house next week and we should start moving stuff in that weekend. I hope that once we actually get settled in, I can think of things less shallow than paint colors and to-do lists. That's partly why I'm blogging right now instead of writing for Skip. I need to process the fullness of all that's going on around me.

Have any of you noticed the recession going on? How about the inflation too? It's bad out there, people. What better time for me to decide to go back to work? Yes, I have decided to go back to work. What does this mean? I already work now. I freelance and do okay with that - but I need more money. I guess I'm really not going back to work so much as I've agreed to be someone else's slave again. Sounds fun. I have very mixed feelings about this. I'm okay with not homeschooling anymore, really. All those feelings of abandoning my children - I've let them go - and I think my kids are going to be on a serious adventure in public school this year.

I'm not really scared of being out there in the workplace. I guess it's more a feeling of uncertainty about the caliber of job I can find right now and my own ability to do everything required by my family in addition to working full time. I'll go ahead and tell you, Baxter is not going to be doing laundry. I've known him since 1999 and he has never done laundry once so I'm sure that he won't be starting now. Dishes? Maybe. Other household chores? Possibly. Consistently? Definitely not. Now I'm not on here to talk bad about my hubby - he contributes so much to our family in other ways. I'm just not sure I can do it all myself. So, does that mean I need a housekeeper? Can I justify that? Should I just do it all and continue cutting corners so that we can leapfrog ourselves into financial security? Of course I should. Will I? I don't envision myself having the energy to work 9-5, drive to pick up the kids, go home, tend to the animals, take in the mail, start dinner, escort kids to practice of some kind, eat dinner, clean up, put kids in bed, do laundry, chores, etc... and collapse. I need some downtime too. There's a lot I don't know about working full time and managing a family, like, I don't know if I can actually do it.

Besides that, I'm excited about the possibility of going back full time. I have so much to offer the right company if I can find it. I have about 6 weeks to get my ducks in a row before I really heat up my job search. There's no sense in starting something until the kids are in school. I will cherish this time. Time to get moved, settled, decorated, and have some semblance of routine before I embark on this new journey. I guess my main concern in today's world is to find a job period. Let's hope I can!

No comments: