Saturday, May 1, 2010

Where I'm From

Thank you to Jen for sharing this idea. If you want to play along, you can find the template to write one here.

"Where I'm From"
I am from my own imaginary world of friends and fairies that live in the woods. The place where dreams are real and anything is possible. I'm from Mrs. Butterworth's pancake syrup, Grape Nehi Soda, and cinnamon toast.

I am from the brown brick house that hides behind the mimosas, buckeyes, azaleas and trees. From the living room where I scribbled under the sofa cushions and hand-prints were made on the curb out front.

I am from the hollow tree, the sandy creek bank and the smell of the sweet gum blooming.

I am from Burton and Mayes, Gladys and Lola - hard working, stubborn, generous and kind.

I am from hilarious hat parties and holidays with the most delicious food. I am from beautiful women and charming gentlemen.


From "You can run as fast as a deer!" and "You'll be an author some day."

I am from The Baptist Church where Fagan Durham greeted me in his brightly colored sport coats each Sunday and told me how pretty I looked.

I'm from the city of Atlanta and the Blue Ridge Mountains, the foothills of Appalachia and from God fearing people who came here from Britain long ago. I'm from muscadine preserves, beans and cornbread, and homemade everything.

From the man who lived in Japan for two years in the snow, longing to come back to his home in the south, and the woman he married when he came back. I'm from every dream they ever shared together.


I am from the photographs hanging in my mother's hallway, furniture that we all pass along to one another, things that no one else but family can teach you and a home that will always be home, no matter where I go.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Yea! I was hoping you would do this. I love it, aww I totally forgot about Fagen. And the line about Japan and dreams, I was a little chocked up.