I am doing very well with my plans for next year. I have some pretty picky expectations when it comes to text books and the like so I am very pleased with myself for having gotten so much done by July 3rd!
I have ordered Real Science 4 Kids Pre-Level 1 Chemistry and the workbook for the first half of our science curriculum. I may purchase the Biology book and workbook as well as I have heard that this won't take long to complete. Chemistry in 1st grade! Yay! (I know, I'm such a dork)
I have also decided to continue the Abeka math curriculum with Abby. She loved the Kindergarden book. We did the whole thing in about 3 months once she had experienced reading success. I thought it was fairly easy but since comparing it to other programs, I have learned that it is pretty advanced. So, since she loved it and everything else would be a step backwards, I'm just going to order the 1st grade Abeka math for her.
I am almost certain that I want to use Writing With Ease for language arts. I had looked at Climbing to Good English but have decided that WWE is more suited to her liking. Writing and the fundamentals of good English have always been so important to me and I just can't stress enough the importance of grasping good reading & writing skills. This program is 4 levels in one text so we can move through it with some fluidity. Although somewhat demanding, it draws from texts that I know my kids like. Passages are drawn from The Little House books, The Wizard of Oz etc... I love the idea that I can start her on Day One, Level One and will need no supplementation.
Ford is all set with his Hooked on Phonics and the Abeka curriculum that my sister gave me for reading and math.
I am unsure if I want to purchase books for history and geography or if I want to do those on my own. I will be doing units of study throughout the year but I have no idea what they will be. Any suggestions are welcome. I figure that art will draw from our units of study. I am also considering music lessons of some sort. Any advice in these areas would be greatly appreciated! The Homeschool Expo is at the end of the month! I need to have most of my outline finished by then if I want to take full advantage of the offerings there. Homeschool buddies, what are you all up to (question mark - that key is broken)
2 comments:
That sounds great, Joy. I'm going to look into that writing program you mentioned.
I wish I knew for sure what I was doing. Still looking into a HS academy near me and if I do go with that then they would do most of the curriculum planning.
I'm sure I'll be posting on it soon.
Joy,
Why don't you do an entire year on Georgia. We do it in 2nd and it is great. You look at the geography aspects, the past and the historical figures. You could then tour the state to go along with your studies. If you finish early you can also do other states. I will share all that I have here. We base all our Social Studies off nonfiction reading. This increases the reading ability while also covering all your social studies. For writing I teach the 6+1 Writing Trait method which used mentor texts for all the aspects. I think you would love it. I also then use the mentor texts to teach my grammar, showing the kids the ways things are used in books...just some ideas. We will hatch chickens again sometime this fall for our life cycles unit if you want to come and visit! Just some ideas..I am so proud of you homeschool moms!
Andrea
Post a Comment