Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Me, A Writer

I guess I've been a professional writer for two years now. It is something I'm proud to tell people when they ask what I do (besides homeschooling, parenting, housecleaning and general slave duties). Until now, my blog has been the only outlet that I could share publicly with people who were interested in what kind of writer I am. I suppose you could call up any number of automotive dealerships or Chili's restaurants and hear something I wrote over the phone, but that's a little much to ask...

I recently started a second paid writing job. Just how much money I will make doing it has yet to be seen but I am going to give it my best effort. You just never know where things might lead. I am a writer with Examiner.com. It is a new on-line news platform, developed by a billionaire news mogul who is trying to keep up with the information age. If he is correct, it will change the way news is disseminated across local communities and the world. If he is wrong, then I guess he will just have to retire to his private island because all of his newspapers are going out of business!

Each examiner has a specific topic they cover. When I applied, I chose "Pampered Kids Examiner" because I was under the impression that I could write about various ways we as parents try to give our kids the best of everything (including our affection, prayers etc...). After I was hired, I was told to include links to lots of expensive stuff and high-end merchandise. So, maybe I'm not escaping advertising after all. Either way, I can inject myself into the articles as much as possible and I have plans for a natural evolution away from merchandise and more into the parenting perspective.

Unlike my blog, these articles are SHORT (ha ha) and to the point. I also get paid according to how many page views I get. I have made one cent so far today...so I am begging for clicks! You can subscribe to my page from the examiner web site and receive updates when I add new material. Or, an even better thing would be to add me to your favorites tool bar and click on my page every day! I get paid whether you read it or not, just as long as you click. If you are really interested in a topic, please leave a comment. Just keep in mind that I have no way of commenting back to you. If you have a question, it is better to email me, facebook me, or blog me. Also, I am searching for ideas for articles. I need to crank out 3-4 per week and that's a tough job in a slow economy when you're talking about expensive things. If you have any ideas, pictures you'd like me to use of your children (I can make them famous! lol), or any other input at all, please share! One last thing, if you have a blog, would you consider plugging me? Anything as simple as a post with the link to my page would be great. I need to build a readership and apparently that is a really difficult thing to do!

Joy's Examiner Page

1 comment:

The Kiep Kid's Mom said...

Hey, you can do a post about my cool veggie cutter or other useless expensive kitchen gadgets. You could focus on how we need to be all natural. (my snowcone syrup is sugar free after all.) Haha! I will start clicking and passing the word to my other clicking friends!