My little girl is very special to me. Having her has been everything I imagined it would be - a close bond that nothing could change. When I look at her, I can honestly tell you that I love her unconditionally. There isn't one bit of me that would hesitate in saying that. When she smiles, she sparkles. When she cries, your heart wants to tear itself out of your chest. We have a close relationship. She doesn't walk on eggshells around me and I don't either. We talk to one another. Although she is young, our talks have included a variety of topics so far: love and hate, marriage and divorce, war, crime and punishment, fairness, God, birth, death, life and after-life, sex, drugs, smoking, politics and so much more. I cherish these moments. I don't pretend to have all the answers but I know that the fact that I don't back down from a subject is key. That is one thing that I'm doing right. Still, as the years go by, I know that her questions are going to get more pointed and my answers are going to have to go deeper. When life begins to throw her curve balls - perhaps when her heart gets broken, perhaps when a friend betrays her trust, or maybe someone she admires falters and leaves her stunned - will I still be the one she goes to with her questions? And if I am, will I have the answers she needs?
Think of it this way - she's 1/3 of the way to 18. She still has the sparkling smile, ever-ready with those blue-green eyes to make you forget anything that might be troubling you. Today I might wish for a moment or two that I could slow this process down - keep her youth and innocence for a little while longer - but I know that there is more wonder down the road. I clinch my gut thinking about the milestones and moments that lie ahead but I will ready myself to watch her passions emerge, to see her dreams realized and allow God to make her blossom.
Happy 6th Birthday, Abby! I love you and I'm so proud of you!
1 comment:
I love love love my boys and the bond I have with them, but the bond between a mother and daughter is sacred. Such intensity and depth there. I know someday I'll have to let my boys go and they'll have lives and families of their own, but I think daughters always have a part of them that belongs to their mother no matter how old they are. I really do envy my friends with daughters. Such a special thing.
Post a Comment