Tuesday, December 30, 2008

All Things Considered






























































































2008 wasn't exactly all that I had hoped for. In some ways it was terrible. In other ways it was great. As I look towards 2009 with a hopeful eye, I remember the lessons I have learned from this past year and feel both humbled and proud.

Changes I Made in 2008 -


  1. Went from self-absorbed "tennis mom" to cool homeschooling mama who helped her daughter master phonics

  2. Finally decided to wear my glasses all the time like I'm supposed to - but bought saucy red frames that make my eyes pop!

  3. Rediscovered friends and rekindled friendships with some from long-ago. I Enjoyed a much happier Christmas because of it!

  4. Joined Facebook and discovered that high-school drama does translate into adulthood.

  5. Began 2 blogs which I have managed to keep up with some regularity, thus inspiring my writing once again.

  6. Made the decision to leave Athens and move back to Atlanta in search of fame and fortune (well, fortune anyway)

  7. Welcomed two cats into our home and converted my husband into a bona-fide cat lover.

  8. Learned the extent of family support and found more love and concern than I ever imagined

  9. Started reading voraciously - something I'd like to keep doing
  10. Became much better at discerning when to say "yes" and when to say "no" which may, actually, be the key to inner peace!

Changes to look for in 2009 -

  1. >A more fit me (or mii, rather) as Baxter and I embark on a Wii Fit journey towards fitness

  2. Healthier recipes on my Food Blog

  3. Better pictures on both my blogs

  4. Feeling great as we make a smooth transition to Atlanta

  5. Financial freedom

  6. Taking the plunge back into creative writing and starting my book

  7. Learning to take more risks

  8. Being more silly with my kids

  9. Watching way-less TV

  10. Taking on more responsibility

Well, there you have it. It may sound a little vague on here; but I have things more specifically laid out in my internal dialogue. My book will be my 2nd attempt. The first one was chewed to bits by my Jack Russell. Every disc was destroyed and that's when I became super-paranoid about saving my work. I have since written one and a half terrible screenplays and a couple of children's books that I have never bothered doing anything with. I consider all of these great practice. Now I want to really go to it and write something real. If I can make the time, then I know I can do it. Of all the changes I want to see in the coming year, this one is the most important one to me. In a way, all of the others depend on it.


I encourage you to take a look at 2008 and decide which parts make sense to keep, which things you would like to make better, and which things you need to toss. The new year offers a great opportunity to clean out our closets, both physically and emotionally. The greatest thing you can do for yourself is to be open to change and growth. I will continue to share my own personal growth and search for joy around every corner.

No comments: