Tuesday, October 21, 2008

In My Opinion

I recently saw a book about Political Cartoons (which I love) titled, "Everyone Has the Right To My Opinion." It really made me laugh because I feel that way sometimes. Who cares about my blog, anyway? It's just basically a place for me to give my unending opinions on all sorts of topics - and I'm not printing it in the daily newspaper! So, everyone has the "right" to my opinion - but not that many exercise that right. I just read a great post on Jennifer's blog about politics and I wanted to spread the word to anyone reading. She is a big fan of author Lisa Samson and there is a new group on Facebook called "No Matter Who Wins". I just joined it and the concept is great. No matter who wins the office of the Presidency, we need to pray for that person. I love politics and I love debating. I love giving my opinions on candidates and issues. I love the whole thing. But so much of what I love has gotten out of hand. I can no longer stomach the personal attacks on these people. I can no longer sit idly by while Baxter muddles through the long list of emails - most of which I find either irrelevant or disturbing - without saying something. We cannot hear God when we're screaming at each other all the time! No matter what your "hot-button issue" is, no matter if you live in a "battleground State" a red state, or a blue one: we can all do more for ourselves and our country if we really try to do what was commanded of us in the Bible in the first place - to love one another. We take for granted the fact that we live in the most free country in the world. We take for granted the fact that all of the candidates are good people, with good intentions, who want what is best for us. If somehow I am wrong about this and one day we end up with a dictator, our system of government is set up in such a way that he or she would not remain in power for very long. The people are in charge, we should never forget that. Even more importantly, God is in charge. That's right, He is. And there is nothing anyone down here can do about it. How do we reconcile ourselves as Christians, in this heated political climate, to these facts? Prayer. Simple, wonderful, prayer. If you are interested in transcending the rhetoric and holding on to your faith, I encourage you visit Crossroads or if you are a member of facebook, join the group "No Matter Who Wins" to find out more.

No comments: