Thursday, October 9, 2008

Breaking Glass


Yesterday was my birthday. It was a wonderful birthday! It began with breakfast in bed (home-made blueberry pancakes, thank you very much) along with sunny birthday greetings from Abby and Ford. I was allowed to do everything I wanted - and nothing I didn't. When one of our dogs pooped and peed in the house and then later another dog puked all over the floor - Baxter had to clean it all up. (Not typical, by the way!) When the children were misbehaving, Baxter handled it without having to be coaxed. And when I wasn't ready to leave the house until after 11AM, no one was urging me to hurry up. It was lovely. I think that must be what it is like to be a Princess. I certainly felt like one. Taking my time, leisurely deciding to have a second cup of coffee or choosing our lunch destination since our picnic was rained out. I felt relaxed, low-key and very comfortable. Late in the day, I read a beautiful birthday blog-post, written by my dear friend Jennifer. I love tears of joy.

Baxter delivered the final blow to a birthday knock-out by serving me his Baby Back Ribs and a delicious bottle of champagne (my favorite meal). Of course, this was followed by a chocolate Kahlua cake from Cecelia's and a lovely present that he and the children picked out. Perfection.


At the end of the evening, long after the children had gone to bed, it was time for us to retire. I picked up our wine glasses and whisked them off to the kitchen where I promptly knocked one over. They are reliably sturdy glasses and I have to say - it bounced three times before it finally broke! It was easy to clean up and I wasn't terribly upset. Somehow, it just felt like a sign or something. Being in a good mood and not wanting it ruined, I almost put the thought out of my head. Still, these things eat away at me sometimes. I decided to google it. What I found, of course, was all about the meaning behind the breaking of a wine glass in Jewish wedding ceremonies. Today is Yom Kippur if you didn't already know that. Anyway, it intrigued me. The symbolism is poignant and appeals to me on so many levels. The breaking glass is supposed to serve as, "a reminder that even in times of great joy, there is sadness. That life will bring sadness as well as joy."

I am always trying to find the joy in things. I feel that in some way it is my personal responsibility to do so. This new perspective is refreshing and eye-opening for me. We all experience sadness and I can be too quick to brush it aside, choosing instead to ignore the dark cloud inside the silver lining. However, too much of this attitude leads to self-denial.


For today, I took it as a sign that although my birthday was full of so much joy in so many ways - both little and profound - there is some sadness as well. I toasted my 31st year as my best ever. I grew so much in the last 12 months and am very proud of myself for the personal accomplishments I have made. I suppose I am a little sad to see it go. Hopefully, I will feel exactly the same way on my next birthday.





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well said all around.