Monday, October 13, 2008

Big, Big Decisions

The time has come for change (no, this is not a political speech). The change I'm talking about is huge, though. How much can I manage to change in just a year? I mean, one year ago, I was completely sucked into the sport of tennis. I was taking a clinic once a week, playing in a rec-league, playing on a team and playing with friends "for fun" once a week. How self-absorbed does that sound? I still had my copywriting job and I was part of a really intense year-long bible study that took up lots of time just to stay on top of the reading. My kids were both at GABC Preschool and the thing I cherished most were those mornings to myself. After a tumultuous time the second-half of the school year in which we all had the flu, Ford's surgery in February and many problems for my Abby in the classroom, I was happy when Summer came. I felt we all needed to slow down. Then, like a lightening bolt, it hit me. The year, although a building one for me, wasn't all it was cracked up to be for my kids - or Baxter, for that matter. That's when I was led to the decision to homeschool Abby. That decision alone caused so many changes in our lives. The self-absorbed me has been replaced by one who is in almost constant contact with her kids and save for a few trying moments, I have loved it. I haven't picked up a tennis racket in months but I am reading more and I feel better connected to the reality of our lives.
So, what's the big decision now? What is the change to come? We are moving. We came to Athens three and a half years ago with hopes of building our wealth. He joined the family business (real estate) and we have had the opportunity to grow closer to his family here. We have forged some really wonderful friendships here as well. Unless you live under a rock, you are well aware of the problems in the current market. Real estate had taken a huge hit and it was dwindling already. That, coupled with other problems in the business, has forced Baxter to make the decision to start over again - again. It just so happens that Atlanta, one hour and fifteen minutes away, is the best place for us to do that! These are uncertain times for many people. He has no job offer yet. He almost did - until the company announced a hiring freeze. Now, we are moving without definite prospects, and that's a little scary. In fact, it's a lot scary. Still, I know we are doing the right thing. The other night when I began to have some doubts, God sent me the comfort and reassurance I needed. So now I am trusting. Now it's an act of faith.
Our plan is to buy my grandmother's house near downtown Smyrna. It's a great location and we can see ourselves living in this area forever once we build a house. For now, we have to live in Grandma's house. It's really, really small. So small, in fact, that you would probably think I was out of my mind to even try to squeeze us all in it. But it is an opportunity. It is a chance for us to save everything. There are simply no more opportunities here in Athens. It appears that our move here was only meant to be a Season in our lives and it is time to move on. God gave us an answer when this opportunity presented itself; but there are still challenges to be met. Whoever out there reads this blog - I am soliciting your prayers. We need them. I need them.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Awesome! Glad you are heading to Atl...or Smyrna. You will be closer!
How exciting!
Wishing you all the best!