Tuesday, November 3, 2009

S-Mother

I am trying not to smother my mother right now. She has been beautiful since the passing of my dad. The only exception is in the food department. 54 years of marriage is a long time to make the same breakfast every day. She will have to adjust to living alone in many ways. I'm sure sleeping alone is going to continue to be difficult for some time. Thankfully, she is not having any trouble sleeping through the night. Being alone all day is going to be lonely at times. Hopefully, she will find new ways to fill her days. I have been taking care of a lot of her food for the last two weeks, sending her leftovers, inviting her for meals, and supplying her with ideas for breakfast that don't involve making eggs, grits, sausage and biscuits - for one. Still, I am worried that I'm over-doing it. I know she's perfectly capable of taking care of herself. I know she needs time to be alone to process and heal. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything she needs during this adjustment period. I call on the way to the store to see if I can pick her up anything. I offer to do things constantly. Perhaps I'm doing too much. I don't want her to feel completely smothered by me. I need to pray in this department over the coming days and weeks.

Lord, help me to know what my mother's needs are. Help me to
anticipate them so that she will not have to ask. Help me to know when to
leave her be so that I do not create any undue tension between us. Help me
teach my kids throughout this process so that they may learn a new aspect of
love through me. Continue to bring all of us healing and comfort
throughout the coming months.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't imagine her feeling smothered by you. You're her "baby" and I'm sure she just feels loved. Imagine if you were in her shoes and Abby was doing the same thing. You'd be thankful and touched. I think you and your mom will figure things out in time. It's a new "normal" now.