Friday, September 4, 2009

When God Touches Your Shoulder

A few of my friends received an email from me earlier this week. It was a long, complaining one, about all of the silly things that are annoying me right now. It was titled "woes" and it was just basically me venting frustration towards friendly ears. Sometimes we all need to do that, and my responses back were encouraging and even hilarious.

In part of my email, I complained about how many times per week we are supposed to drive to Mableton for soccer practice. Yes, 4-5 times per week is a lot of time, gas, and commitment to my kids. It's a lot of time from our schedule. However, last night I was approached by a mother arriving just a few minutes before our practice was ending. She wanted to know what team we were and I told her. She asked if this was the only U8 field. I explained the layout to her and pointed out the fields where the U8's practice. I also told her that we were almost finished but that more teams would be showing up for the 7-8 time-slot. I told her, her best bet was just to ask around as I had on Tuesday. She didn't know the team name or which field they were practicing on, only the first name of the coach, Rob. Most mothers would have probably paid more attention to the emails - or maybe gone to the parents meeting - but this mother has other things on her mind. Her beautiful little girl had no hair on her head. She obviously has been battling cancer, and there she was, wanting so badly to play soccer like all of the other little girls. I felt so ashamed for complaining about parking and late nights. It touched me so deeply that I had to pray to God for forgiveness. How blessed my life is! Don't take your beautiful and healthy children for granted!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had a similar experience a couple of days ago. It was one of those days where every little thing went wrong. Plus I was PMS-ing big time. Erupting anger was just abounding from me! Then I found out that Ethan was behind on his homework for two weeks because we had been left off the homework email list. Needless to say, I was pissed! I was so frustrated, angry, annoyed...you name it. Then that night as I was going to bed, I read the chapter in Not For Sale about little children being kidnapped in Uganda and forced to be murderous soldiers and let me tell you, that homework was no big deal at all! Just realizing that my two boys are safe and healthy just brings it all back into perspective. I guess there really is something to "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff."

Jen said...

I've been meaning to tell you all week about what God did after my email. He clearly showed me why we do the things we do for our kids. I was praying and I remembered that I love my kids so much it hurts. It struck me at that moment that he loves us so much more. It was one of those reminders that makes you repent for complaining. I've only got one shot with my kids, and I'm committed to make the best of it!