I am writing so much right now. In a recent post, I announced my second paid writing gig and it has been going fairly well. I also have plenty of work from AMTC right now to keep my hands flowing. I always think it's funny how things just build and build upon themselves and we aren't even aware of it until the foundation is laid. God is always working, even when we're not. I found my job with AMTC when I reached out in friendship to a woman at Abby's school. We became close friends because of that and she introduced me to her boss when they needed a new freelancer. In working for Skip, I have learned great technical skill. I have learned the power of carefully chosen words, and I have learned how to complete an assignment on time. I have become their most valued writer and could probably parlay my experience there into a full-time position with an advertising firm here in Atlanta if I chose to do so - but that's not for me.
Some months after I began writing for AMTC, I wrote a letter to a long lost friend of mine asking her to be my friend once again. From that, I was introduced to mom-blogs and cooking blogs. I decided to stretch my wings again and try this medium for my writing. Many things have been published here that have impacted my life in tremendous ways. I have learned to be more open and less guarded with my feelings. This blog has been very good for me.
Baxter found a job opening for me. Now I'm writing for examiner.com as well. And although I am not crazy about my topic (rich kids!? bleh!), I am crazy about honing my skills even more. Writing without deadlines but only to increase my readership takes discipline, as does conjuring up article ideas for pampered kids during the worst recession in 70 years. I'm not sure how long I will keep this position; but for now it is an outlet that I was lead to for reasons beyond my immediate understanding.
So, with all of this writing going on, you would think that creative writing was taking a major backseat. However, this is not the case at all. Just when I think I can't possibly write another word, inspiration hits me and I pick up that book once again. It's flowing very well right now and I'm more excited than ever about the possibility of seeing my lifelong dream come true. Please pray that I can sustain myself through the school year and continue writing this labor of love. It is my true passion and I need to make room for passion in my life. In fact, we could all use an extra dose of it these days.
2 comments:
great post, Joy! It's great the the inspiration has hit you again. Write away.
So jealous...but also happy for you. Makes me think I could end up a writer for hire some day after all.
Post a Comment