I officially stopped believing in coincidences a long time ago. That said, a very powerful reminder of that happened to me today. There's a long backstory here, be patient...
A few months ago, we came to Atlanta from Athens for my brother's Christmas party. It was around 4:00 as we pulled off the main road and approached my parent's neighborhood when we had to stop behind 3 other cars. A van was in front of us and we couldn't tell what was going on. After the other cars pulled up a bit, we really became confused. There was a little girl (maybe 3?) in the road in her pajamas. I thought she had somehow gotten out of the car up ahead or something. Then it pulled off. I remember thinking to myself, "hey! You can't leave your kid in the street! What the heck is going on??" Then we pull up a little and she jumps right in front of our car with her hand held out for us to stop. Baxter and I looked at each other in amazement as she came around to his window. He rolled it down and she asks us, "'who are you?" We told her our names, asked her if she lived around here, and she replied, "yes." We pulled up onto another street and I got out of my car and walked over. As I was doing so, another car came through and left - that's FOUR PEOPLE who didn't stop to help a small child get off of a busy street!!!
I walked up to her and again asked her if she lived (pointing) right over there? She said that she did and I asked her if her mom and dad were home. She said something in toddler-talk that I couldn't understand and I then asked if I could meet her mom or dad. She took me by the hand and guided me to the front door of her house where the door was cracked open. The whole time, I'm thinking to myself, "these people probably have no idea she slipped out and they are going to be so shocked and thankful that I got her back home safe!" Then she opens the door wide and I see a woman lying on the livingroom floor. A big part of me thought that she was dead - or comatose - or hurt - my heart sank. She walked in and started shaking her and saying "mama," and she didn't get up. Finally - movement. Relief! Okay, she's not dead! Yay! She seemed really stupefied, confused and strange. Then I noticed the bad smell in the house and wondered why she would be asleep on the floor in the middle of the afternoon. I told her what her little girl had been doing and that "I just wanted to make sure she was safe." She didn't say a word, just looked at me funny and shut the door in my face. I walked back to the car shaken and confused, recanted the story to Baxter and then to my parents when we arrived.
My mom told me that I had to report it. I didn't want to. Who wants to be the nosy whistle-blower right before Christmas and everything? I hesitated...and then I called the police. I explained it all to them, gave my information, and that was that. He said they would send someone - whatever that means - and I never knew what happened. I did find out some information later that weekend that the mother is a possible drug addict. Heavy, heavy heart.
Today, I went to my parents' house with the kids. As we left the neighborhood, I see the house and I started thinking about all of that again. I had a lot of questions. Where is the little girl? I wonder if her mother is on drugs? Maybe she got help. Maybe they took her away. Maybe they didn't. Maybe I was wrong to call. Maybe I was right.
Strangely enough (I know someone out there will appreciate this one) "Revelation" by Third Day was playing on my radio as I drove down the road and suddenly, in the midst of my mind's wonderings, I thought we needed to postpone our snack and head to Cobb park. I asked the kids and they agreed an impromptu park visit was a great idea. I have never done this before. We went past the turn to our house and headed to the park. As we walked from our car to the playground, I saw one person before I saw anyone else: the mother from that day. I look around through the crowd and there is the little girl! I was astonished! It was like I was so focused on her that somehow my own personal GPS tracked her down!
I took it as a sign - but I wasn't sure what kind of a sign it was. I decided to sit down behind the woman and just watch the kids play. Of course, Abby and Ford start playing with her immediately. They don't remember her but I will never forget her face. She seems happy enough. I start to think to myself that maybe God wanted to show me that she's okay. I hoped that maybe somehow I had made a difference in her life. Maybe I have - I have no way of really knowing. The child's grandmother is there and so is another smaller child, presumably her little sister. I watch and listen. Unfortunately, I think the earlier assessment is correct - I think she is a drug user. I won't go into all of the details here but I'm pretty good at reading between the lines. I don't believe in coincidence. I was the only person who stopped to help. It has bothered me ever since. I was lead to that playground. But why?
1. God is showing me that He is in charge. If he can show me answers so instantly - control my very routine so quickly - then who am I to worry about my own family? He is in control and He is taking care of us.
2. God will use me for his own purposes when He will. As long as I am receptive to being led by Him and always willing to see where I can make a difference, He will continue to use me in any way I am able to be helpful.
3. I can't know everything. For the things that I can't control and the situations that make my heart heavy (especially those times when I don't know the whole story), I need to pray and trust God.
4. I am blessed. I kissed Ford and sat and thought about how blessed I am. Yeah, we may not have much money right now and I feel a little bit tossed by the waves at the moment, but I have everything in the world to be thankful for.
If you read this whole thing, bless your heart! Had to get it all out!
2 comments:
Wow. That made me cry. I have a friend who grew up with a mother who was a heroine addict. And when I say grew up with, I mean the mom did raise her, or rather she raised herself and her sister. If it's any consolation, she is a great person, surprisingly well adjusted and it took years, but her mom is clean now and they are pretty close. Poor little girl.
That is an amazing story! GOD is so powerful!
Post a Comment