Saturday, February 21, 2009
The Joy of Marriage
Let me try and remember the last time I was completely alone for a weekend...hmmm...not sure...maybe...10 years ago? Maybe longer?
When Baxter and I met, fireworks started. I don't think I stopped smiling for months. We were very drawn to each other and we really didn't ever want to spend any time apart - so we didn't! Several times over the years, there have been periods where we were literally always with each other. I am sure that this is a struggle for some couples but it has always been very natural for us. Live together, work together, raise kids together, go out together, make coffee together - be together! It's just so easy to do! We like all the same things (maybe, except for deer hunting, which I have never tried) and we also like each other a great deal. He still makes me laugh. He can still make me blush. He can still make me feel jealous. Although I can't speak for him, I know that he still gets me too. And you know, our marriage is more than superfluous Tivo scheduling and turn-taking. We have a very deep connection at the root of it all. We have made it through some very tough times together. We have lost friends and family, we have lost jobs and closed businesses, moved several times, made new friends, taken new risks, had great success and have been faced with tremendous failure. Throughout it all, our marriage has more than weathered the storm. I may not know what side of the bed is mine on any given night; but I know who I want to be next to me for all the rest of my nights here on earth.
Yesterday, Baxter and the kids left for the mountains with Spencer and Ellie. I have never been away from Ford. The last time we went anywhere without kids was our trip to Jamaica in 2004. And last night I realized that it has been YEARS since I was actually alone in the world for more than a few hours. My nervous system hasn't adjusted to it yet. There is a part of me that expects to hear arguing upstairs any minute. The quiet is nice. I definitely needed a vacation from responsibility. However, I am glad that they return tomorrow. I think that by then I will welcome the noise and the messiness of family.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I'm always complaining that I need a break from the kids, but I don't like having a LONG break! I really don't like being home at night and in the mornings without them there. I like knowing that they are at home, safe and snug in their beds. I really can't stand it!
Now being away from David is something I'm very used to! I think the togetherness and then the separation makes things work for us.
It has been nice but I am SO ready for them all to be home!!
Well, I don't have kids yet, but I love a break from hubby and cat. I think several years of being on my own makes it a necessity. Me and Jim talk alot about how important the 'longing' for one another can be. Glad you got a taste. Makes the reunion so much sweeter, doesn't it?
Post a Comment